Thursday, July 27, 2006

Divine Priorities


Confession: I have been secretly envious of other people's priorities for years. My friend Glen holds his work-outs as a high priority. So high that he recently paid $15 for a 24 hour membership to a gym when he was out of town. I wish I could be like that. A pastor I know named David puts a high priority on writing sermons. He spends a minimum of 20 hours each week preparing his sermon. I don't. Another friend of mine named Jonathan puts a high priority on his food intake. He refuses to eat fast food. Period. I wish I had that kind of fortitude.

But I must be fair to myself and state that I have made a radical shift in my priorities over the last year. For years, my top three priorities went like this: 1) My Work in the Church, 2) My Self, and 3) My Family. A little over a year ago I started to shift those priorities. I was talking with a friend about this change a couple of weeks ago. She asked me how my priorities are ordered now. (I think the conversation was initiated by my recent post on Hear the Yawp called "Keeping Busy.") At any rate, I answered her with an atypical straightforward order: 1) My Family, 2) My Self, and 3) My Work in the Church. The answer felt good. Something seemed right about it. For years I have wanted that order, but for the first time, it was true. Then my friend asked me this question: "Where is God in that order?"

Her question got me thinking. According to what we've been taught in churches, it is a great question. The Church teaches that our priorities are supposed to be "1) God, 2) Family, and 3) Church." I answered her with a question, "What does it mean to put God first?" She replied, "You make it a point to spend time with God everyday." No shock there! After all, it's what we've been taught. "If your relationship with God is your top priority, you spend time with him everyday."

But that doesn't make sense to me. Really "good Christians" will spend about 15 minutes either at the beginning of the day or at the end of the day reading their Bible or praying. The "Super-Christians" might spend 30 minutes per day, and the truly sanctified might actually spend one hour per day praying or reading the Bible. That just doesn't make sense to me. Reading Lamentations for 30 minutes out of my 24 hour day makes God my #1 priority? How is that possible? I spend three times that each day eating! I sometimes spend four times that amount of time returning e-mails! And I spend fourteen to sixteen times that amount of time each day sleeping! If priorities are measured in time, I'm not sure my relationship with God would even register.

I'm not so sure our "time with God" or our "relationship with God" needs to be charted on our timed scale of priorities. What would it look like if God wasn't one of the things on my to-do list? A place-holder on my list of priorities? What would happen if God was not the most important among many priorities? What would happen if my relationship with God, instead of being compartmentalized on my priority graph, began to influence and infiltrate every other thing that is on my priority list - family, work, exercise, nutrition, friends, etc? Would that change the way I live? Would that change the way we live?

4 comments:

Kate said...

When I started reading your post, I hoped you were going were you did. Saying God is your number one priority is like saying breathing is your number one priority. Either way you couldn't even have the opportunity to make a priority list if breath or God weren't there, because you'd be dead or ill. God isn't even in the same dimension as priority lists.

Anonymous said...

I don't think we can spend all of our time with God.But I do think our heart will tell us if we are not spending enough time with God.Just because you are working in the church, spending time with your family,or out enjoying something for yourself does not mean it is all intimate focused time.I know sometimes I am at the church ,reading my bible, at home with my family or at some type of event in which I am totally disconnected and am just kinda there physically and totally unfocused.I feel like sometimes I am doing the right thing but there is something missing in it, maybe the "God part"I think we need to be truly in tune with the everyday events and activities in which God tugs on our hearts in those daily events,conversations,and life in general. Unplanned events that always seem to saturate our lifes mean being obedient to where God is leading us in those situations.

Jonathan Drake said...

I think that even calling God a priority is bringing Him down to a level that is not worthy of how huge He is. I think of what Paul says about praying without ceasing and I think that is to be the description of our interactions with the Lord. It shouldn't be segregated into neat little packages: at 7:15 have time with Lord, 7:30 eat breakfast, 7:45 shave, 7:50 leave for work, etc.

We should be living our lives as spiritual acts of worship reflecting His power in our lives in everything we do.

Anonymous said...

Ok Ok... so its off topic and from a "fake" news source.

But its to good to pass up.... check out this article on "Christian Condoms"

http://www.weeklyworldnews.com/features/religion/61519