Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The H.N.I.C.


Sometimes you just know you're right. Sometimes you just know the others are wrong. Sometimes they are so wrong and you are so right that it makes you angry. One of my favorite movies is "Lean on Me." Morgan Freeman plays a tough principal in the turbulent 80's called in to straighten out Eastside High School in New Jersey so that the state doesn't take over the school. Eastside was once a great school, but it has become a haven for gangs, drugs, and violence. The teachers have absolutely no control, and only 30% of the students could pass the minimum basic skills test. "That means," in the words of Joe Clark (Morgan Freeman), "they can hardly read." He comes to the school and immediately confronts the faculty. He reassigns them to different tasks. The tells them they are incompetent. He tells them that it is their fault the students are failing. He tells them that they are not allowed to talk in his meetings, and just before storming out of the room he announces, "And contrary to popular opinion, I am the H.N.I.C." After he walks out, one of the teachers questions the assistant principal, "The H.N.I.C?" She answers, "The Head Nigger In Charge." He's right; they're wrong. Enter anger.

Now in a way, I like Joe Clark. I like his boldness. I like his zeal. I like his vigilance. But on the other hand, he's offensive. What if I had been one of those teachers? I'm guessing my perspective would be different. And that gets me thinking about the role of the prophet. Amos was like that. "I am right; you are wrong; it's time to step up." Speaking for God, he says, "I hate..." Wow. "I hate." Amos. The H.N.I.C. He's right; they're wrong. Enter anger.

Joe Clark's situation was dire; it was urgent. It must be dealt with immediately. One school year to turn everything around. Amos' situation was dire; it was urgent. It must be dealt with immediately. God's wrath and fury was coming soon.

Most people don't change their minds because of a H.N.I.C. Most people change because of a conversation (or a series of conversaions). And conversation requires listening. Joe Clark was not a listener. Amos was not a listener. Listening takes time, and time is something they just didn't have. What about the normal world? What about disagreements with church people? What is the role of the prophet today? When does the prophet need to speak with the voice of the H.N.I.C? When does the prophet need to take the time for listening and conversation? Can a real prophet speak with speak with anything but the voice of the H.N.I.C? When it comes down to it, conversation is more effective than confrontation. But are there some things that are so urgent that they require confrontation? Are there some things that necessitate the voice of Joe Clark or Amos? The voice of the H.N.I.C?

No comments: